CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, September 7, 2008

The Human Race

Me and the hubby just got back from our weeklong vacation in New York. The primary purpose of the trip was for the Fresno State/Rutgers game. The secondary purpose was to see NYC. But while we were there ... I decided to run in Nike's Human Race - a 10K being run by thousands of runners in 26 different cities. I also decided to talk my husband into running with me. He had never run over 3 miles before, but he did it! I was so proud of him ... even though his attitude wasn't the best near the end (and by the end I mean the last 4 miles ... miles 1 and 2 were ok). In retrospect, it was really a communication problem. He apparently is not motivated by high fives and 'you can do it' like I am. Instead, those just make him use profanity. Oh well. To each his own. We survived. And I was very very proud of him. Here are some pics:


Before the race (you can tell who was more excited):




Paul's favorite part of the race was getting a pic with the Naked Cowboy.
Paul right before the finish line and right after telling me to f*** off for saying "you can do it!":
At the finish line!
In other news, we got stuck in Phoenix for Friday night on the way home because of a missed connecting flight. So... I missed the team training on Saturday morning. Determined not to miss my long run for the week, I went on my own this morning - 16 miles ... all by myself, just me and my ipod. I also opted to run from my house instead of starting at Woodward Park like we usually do. That was pretty interesting since I learned just how far 16 miles really is. It was actually a really great mental exercise. I rely on my fellow runners a lot to motivate me towards the finish but this time I could only rely on myself, and I did it. I left my house at 6:30. Three hours later, I arrived home, exhausted and sore but extremely proud. All in all, it's been an exciting week. Onward to 26.2 ...

0 comments: