CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, October 17, 2008

Here we go ...

We leave tomorrow for San Francisco. The marathon is here. I will cross the finish line on Sunday. I am excited beyond words. I have lots of pictures to post - it's been an exciting week, but I've just been too busy so I'll put it all in one big blog when I get back. For now, here's a blog written by the mother of one of our honorees. She explains the meaning of Sunday better than I ever could:

Today is Monday, October 13. We are so close to Day +100 and as I've said before, it's magical yet very anti-climactic. To me, it holds even more magic because this year, it's the same day as the Nike Women's Marathon in San Francisco. Now, Let me give a brief background. Bryna has been a Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Team in Training (TNT) Honoree for over 4 years. The TNT groups run marathons while raising money for the LLS research (in a tiny nutshell). For 4 years, I've wanted to come up here and cheer the team on, bring Bryna and yell till my voice cracks, then yell some more and let them know how important they are and that what they're doing MEANS something to someone. I finally get my chance. The universe and some friends are conspiring to Bryna-sit on Sat night/Sun morning so I can get my humble butt to downtown SF at am to cheer 20,000 walkers and runners and inspire them to keep putting one foot in front of the other.
In my heart I hear, do any of them realize the importance of what they're doing or how spectacular it is that Bryna and so many other kids have reached their Day +100 or other miraculous milestones? Some probably do. In fact, I know some of these incredible people. Everyday people, like you and me, who give of themselves in a way I can't and do it with gusto, pride, pleasure and bittersweet tears when they reach their finish line. When they get to Mile 23 and they're exhausted, their feet are swollen, they're sweat rolls off them like rain and they see a vision in their minds' eye of my child or any child that has meaning to them, those who are fighting for their lives, those who lost the fight and those who will have to fight, and they keep running/walking to their goal of 26.2 miles. Are they heroes? No, the kids they're running and/or walking for are the heroes, true. But in my world, they are right up there in the hero walk of fame (no pun intended), because they help those little heroes who teach us so very much.
This year, I have the opportunity to stand in the cold San Francisco air at 6 am and hold up a poster with Bryna's beautiful smile and know that each and every one of those marathoners are celebrating life with my daughter. It's her Day 100, she's not out of the woods, but she's closer! She's scheduled to be finished with this aspect of our process before Halloween. That means we'll be in Fresno for Trick or Treating. Bryna plans on being a Ballerina and has already decided I'm to be a Ladybug (biggest damned Ladybug I've EVER seen); and at this point, I'm ready to cry with relief and believe me, I plan on bringing my Puffs on Sunday morning, and I am looking forward to crying for hours while I watch 40 thousand feet hit the pavement and know that each tear is relief, sorrow, joy and ecstasy for each child I've ever known who has been through any illness, life-threatening or not.
Yeah, I'm a bit emotional right now, and yeah, I know, you don't often get that from me, but it's well deserved for all of us who have watched Bryna through these last 4+ years. Let's toast, let's enjoy and let's remember to celebrate every day, treasure each moment, cherish each child, hold dear every blissful memory and hear Bryna and I in each runners' ear saying:
GO TEAM GO

0 comments: