CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

It's not a hill. It's a bump.

Or so the coach said...

We are in week 3 of marathon training now with Team in Training and tonight we ran up and down our first hill ... repeatedly. Allegedly we will be grateful for the training when we're in San Francisco this October.

All complaining aside, I feel pretty good about how my training is going. I have been running 2-3 miles 3 or 4 times a week on my own for the past year, and we haven't really gotten beyond that mileage yet. This Saturday will be 4 miles. By the end of June, we'll be running 6. And in October ... well, let's not talk about that yet.

I also got my first donation yesterday- Thanks Francine! It was so exciting. It really made my whole day and just encouraged me to send out more requests and think of more ways to reach my fundraising goal.

On my way to practice today, I was talking to my mom on the phone. She asked me why I was running a marathon. It's a good question really. I got the idea around New Year's and made it my resolution to run one this year. Last year, I passed the bar exam. I left the test knowing I'd passed and that I really could do anything I set my mind to. I guess running a marathon was just the next thing on the list. So I started doing my research and got a little overwhelmed with the idea of training on my own. I found the Team in Training website, went to the informational meeting, and was hooked. Now there's a bigger reason too - I'm running because I can. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people who can't. Yes, I'm running for me - I want the satisfaction of being able to say I ran a marathon. But I'm doing it for them too. Because, let's face it - in comparison to what cancer patients go through, this marathon is just a bump.

Onward to 4 miles...

0 comments: